The Provincial Grand Master had the pleasure of presenting Barnes Park Bowling Club with some new club strips.
The shirts were designed specially for Barnes Park Bowling Club following a donation by the Durham Mark Benevolent Fund.
Barnes Park Bowling Club has been in existence for well over 100 years having celebrated their centenary in 2010. As their name suggests, they operate at the Barnes Park bowling greens in Sunderland.
The land for Barnes Park was purchased in 1904 and the park created during the depression of trade in 1907 to provide employment for thousands of local people. Existing trees were maintained and supplemented with new ones whilst a series of paths were created to wind through the park. At the west end on an elevated section, the bowling greens were created along with tennis courts and a café.
At the beginning of 1910 there were three bowling clubs playing under the jurisdiction of the Borough of Sunderland Bowling Greens Association. These were Roker Park, Roker Marine and Mowbray Bowling Clubs (BC). During the course of 1910 the new Barnes Park green was opened and Barnes Park B.C. was formed.
Within three weeks of opening, the new club had enlisted three hundred members. So popular had bowls become that an article in the Sunderland Echo stated “The game has certainly taken off at the west end of the town and there is already an outcry for a third green. The population is drifting to the west and there is no doubt about the need for another green”.
It wasn’t until 1914 that Barnes Park B.C. won its first trophy when they lifted the Earl Cup. Whilst the club has gone on to win many more trophies, they have also had much success in foursomes, pairs and singles competitions. Their list of successes and collection of trophies is impressive.
The name of Barnes Park Bowling Club is spoken of with a great deal of respect and affection, by all those who love the game of bowls, and admire a club who have been, and will continue to be at the forefront of this wonderful game.
The Durham Mark Benevolent Fund executive having received a petition for assistance, were delighted to provide assistance. The grant has enabled the club to purchase very fine emblazoned shirts which, fittingly have the Mark emblem on the sleeve. They are also in a distinctly Masonic shade of blue, don’t you think? Very smart indeed.
The grant is a way of supporting causes in our community and showing the good that Freemasons and especially Mark Masons can do. It is hoped that new look helps Barnes Park Bowling Club continue with their successes and collect more silverware.
Special thanks go to W.Bro Mike Davis for the history of the club.